Pastirma Pie with karamanli pastirma by Sary
for a 22 cm baking pan
• 6 sheets of traditional filo pastry (sold ready-made) or 8 sheets of yufka of the same size (only in specialized delicatessen stores)
• 13 – 15 (approx. 120 – 150 gr.) slices of Sary beef pastrirma (without tsimeni)
• 350 gr. kaseri cheese, cut into thin slices
• 2 fresh ripe tomatoes (not crushed)
• 2 red bull’s horn peppers, cut widthwise into thin round slices)
• 1/2 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and drained well
• Freshly ground pepper
• 2/3 cup olive oil
• 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Cut the tomatoes into thin round slices and deseed.
Brush the baking pan with olive oil and lay 3 sheets of pastry. Oil individual sheets of pastry as you lay them one on top of another.
Distribute the pastirma slices evenly over the surface of the pastry. Do the same with half of the kaseri slices.
Lay the tomato slices and sprinkle the sun-dried tomatoes all over the top. Continue with the pepper slices and finish with the rest of the kasseri.
Sprinkle with pepper. Brush the remaining 3 filo pastry sheets with oil and layer up to cover the pie. Oil the last sheet and sprinkle with black sesame
Bake the pie in a preheated oven at 180C for 45 minutes.
Serve the pie warm.
As served at Karamanlidika, Athens.